Thursday, March 5, 2009

Good deeds

After my classes today I stopped at Super One Foods. That is where I purchase my gasoline. I was at the pump when a young man (probably in his low to mid 20's) walked up to me. He explained that he and his wife were from Corpus Christi and were stranded here in Shreveport. He said they had no gas to get home and that they did not even have money for food, he said they were very hungry. He went on to say that the reason they were stranded with no money is because their car had broke down and the tow company charged them $800.00 to fix their car.

At first I was of course thinking the worse, perhaps he needed the money to feed an alcohol or drug habit. I told him that I am a poor college student who has very little. I did however have 10 dollars cash in my wallet.

As he walked away, I began to feel so guilty. What if he and his wife really were hungry? I could not bear the thought that I would leave them in that parking lot without helping them. So I drove over to where he was talking to some more strangers and gave him the 10 dollars out of my wallet. I know it is not much but I do feel like I did my good deed for the day. I just hope that my money was used to put food in their bellies and not for a bag of crack or a bottle of wine.

2 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. No matter what they did with the money, you did your part so feel good about that. I would have done the same thing. I used to work at the circle k. There was this homeless man that came by with a dog everyday. All the other employees would yell at him to go away because he would ask people for money. I would make him a few chili dogs, and give him a fountain drink. He probably would have rather had a beer, but I know he atleast had some food in his belly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very kind of you! It is very hard to tell sometimes when someone is telling you the truth about an awful situation like that but when I am forced to decide whether or not to give them money I always try to put myself in their situation and give them the chance I know I would want.

    However, when I constantly see a person on the side of the road begging for money I start carrying bottles of water and non perishable food items in my car so I can hand that out instead. That way I know that they have some clean water to drink and some food to eat.

    I think you did a good thing in giving that man your money. You did what you could for someone in need and it is up to them to decide to use your gift for something they need or something they want.

    ReplyDelete